Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Shredded pork (or beef) tacos with homemade tortillas

I love a good crock pot dinner. Something I can just throw in the crock pot and not worry about all day. This one is so easy and very good. You can half it if needed since it makes enough to feed an army or you can make the whole 3 lb. roast and freeze it. It freezes well for a couple of months. It is best to use pork but you can use beef. I had a beef roast I needed to use up so I used that in the picture.The rice recipe is from Cilantro Lime Chicken and Rice Bowl.

Shredded Pork (or Beef)

3 lb. pork (or beef) roast
16 oz. salsa
1 can Coca Cola
2 c. brown sugar

Place the roast in your crock pot. Puree salsa in a food processor or blender. Combine the salsa, Coke, and brown sugar. Pour over roast. Cook on low about 6-8 hours or high for 4-5. Shred with fork.

Homemade Flour Tortillas

2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. water
3 Tbsp. olive oil

In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Stir in water and oil. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 5-6 times. Divide dough into 8 portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 7 inch circle.

In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook tortillas over medium heat for 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Keep warm.

Nutritional facts: 1 tortilla equalls 159 calories, 5g fat, 0 mg cholestorol, 148 mg sodium, 24g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber

Tortilla recipe source: Taste of Home Magazine (June/July 2010)

4 comments:

  1. do you find that your meat is tough when you do it in the crock pot? Not super tough, just enough that it is a bit annoying? When I make these tacos I always wonder if it would taste better done in the oven. I guess I like my meat super soft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did notice with the beef it seemed a little tougher but not by much. The pork seems to shred easier and is more tender. If you have the original recipe to this it has you cook the meat in water for 5 hours then add the salsa etc. I changed it to add all the ingredients at the beginning. It seemed to have better flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Emily, we made this recipe on Sunday and loved it. We used diet Pepsi and it worked just fine for us (because we're just so concerned about extra calories). We also used the store-bought uncooked flour tortillas, but I'd like to make the homemade recipe next time. We used a beef roast in the crockpot, and it turned out super-tender.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We made these delicious pork tacos this week-end and loved them! I must admit I was a little skeptical because there wasn't much to this recipe and while they were cooking the smell was a little strange. We were really pleased with how they turned out. Chris even ate the left-overs, and he is so picky it is nearly impossible to get him to eat anything left-over.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails