Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Buttermilk Waffles

At our house, we make some form of pancakes or waffles at least 4 days a week. Usually it is my son asking for a blue, green or red pancake/waffle. I think I used green food coloring in pancake batter for St. Patrick's day a couple years ago and since then he always wants colored pancakes/waffles for breakfast. So, I am always on the look out for good waffle and pancake recipes. This one is one of the better recipes. The syrup on the waffle in the picture is Hot Buttermilk Syrup found here: Hot Buttermilk Syrup.

A few years ago I got a professional Belgian waffle iron for Christmas and it has become my favorite kitchen appliance. It makes waffles taste so much better than a standard waffle maker. Even the store bought pancake mix (which I can't stand) doesn't taste all that bad in this waffle maker. If you love waffles as much as I do, I would highly reccomend investing in one of these irons.


Buttermilk Waffles

3 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. oil
3 c. buttermilk
5 egg whites

In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients. In a medium sized bowl beat egg whites until light and fluffy (or until soft peaks form). Add oil and buttermilk to dry ingredients. Gently fold in egg whites just until combined. Cook in waffle iron sprayed with non stick spray. Serves 6-8 people.

Per whole waffle (4 triangles): 259 calories, 5g fat, 8g sugar, 1g fiber, 10g protein, 4 mg cholesterol, 43g carbohydrates

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails