Caramel Pretzel Brownies
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz milk chocolate, melted
- 3/4 cup roughly chopped thin pretzels
- 14 caramels, unwrapped (make sure they are fresh caramels, not ones you have had in your pantry for 9 months. They won't turn out well)
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- Grease a 13 x 9" pan and preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in the top of a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl set over simmering water. Stir until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into a large bowl and stir in the sugars.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Gently stir in the flour mixture, mixing just until combined.
- Sprinkle the pretzels over the brownies and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Set the pan on a rack to cool.
- Drizzle the melted milk chocolate evenly over the pretzels.
- Combine the caramels and heavy cream in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth. Drizzle over the brownies and let rest for at least an hour before cutting into squares. Recipe and Photo source: Cate's World Kitchen